PhotonHub Europe – Test-before-Invest Technology Support
“Test-before-Invest” technology support is delivered to companies in two key phases:
1. Expert scouting support: successful applicant companies first receive personalised one-to-one scouting support from one of PhotonHub’s more than 350 top experts in photonics matched to the unique innovation challenge of each company. This allows the company’s specific innovation needs to be jointly discussed and expertly assessed for rapid channelling to the most suitable solution across the broad spectrum of capabilities within the innovation hub ecosystem (including external third parties where appropriate). This scouting activity is free-of-charge for the companies and takes place under a signed Non-Disclosure Agreement.
2. Deep innovation project support: once a company has successfully passed the scouting phase and is deemed eligible for PhotonHub cross-border funding support, a detailed innovation project proposal will be jointly developed between the company and one or more of the most suitable PhotonHub technology support providers and/or third party providers in accordance with the relevant Technology Readiness Level (TRL) of the targeted innovation:
- Prototyping (TRL 3-4): An innovation projects at the prototyping level is designed to be highly collaborative co-innovation initiatives between the PhotonHub partner(s) and the company. The average amount of the financial support package from PhotonHub as part of the overall cost of a prototyping innovation project is expected to be €40K.
- Upscaling (TRL-5-6): n an innovation projects for upscaling, PhotonHub provides support to optimise an initial prototype for small-series production in a manner which is compatible with full-scale manufacturing. A link and access is provided to European pilot-line production facilities in photonics, several of which are represented by PhotonHub partners.
- Manufacturing (TRL7-8): The support of PhotonHub at the manufacturing level will come in the form of a brokerage service, helping companies innovating with photonics to rapidly connect with existing European manufacturers in photonics which are most suitable for full-scale production and market launch of their new products.