Textiles and the Environment – The role of design in Europe’s circular economy
The report presents key findings about the European textile industry's environmental impact and the potential for a circular economy. It highlights:
- Environmental Impact: The textile industry significantly contributes to environmental issues, including high water consumption, chemical pollution, and substantial greenhouse gas emissions. Specific data on these impacts are outlined in the report.
- Raw Material Use: The report provides detailed statistics on the consumption of raw materials, emphasizing the need for sustainable sourcing.
- Eco-Design and Circular Economy: The importance of eco-design in reducing environmental impact is stressed, with examples and strategies for implementation.
- Challenges in Implementing Circular Business Models: The report discusses the obstacles to adopting circular business models, such as recycling and product take-back schemes.
- Policy Recommendations: The report offers policy recommendations to support the transition to a sustainable, circular textile industry.
These points are backed by specific facts and numbers detailed in the report, offering a comprehensive view of the current state and future potential of Europe's textile industry.